Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Minnesota Nice...

Last spring when I was flying to New York on my way to London, I sat next to an older gentlemen and had an amazing conversation. He was a retired physician, and was on his way to Ireland with his wife. He did not start out in his career as a Doctor. He was originally a Physicist- and had worked on The Manhattan Project. I spent the majority of the flight listening to the adventures he had while in Santa Fe during that time. It was really fascinating to me. (I didn't tell him my Father was a downwinder, I am not a resentful person, and I was genuinely interested in his life story. I could have pulled an Inigo Montoya . But I decided against it.)
What was even more fascinating is what he taught me about mid-westerners. We got around to talking about the schools in Minnesota. I expressed how pleased I was at the education my children were receiving. He stated with a smile, that the schools were "good enough." I thought they were more than that. When I stated this, he was quick to point out that it was clear I was not from Minnesota. What was it that made it obvious? My big hair? My lack of mentioning cheese? What??? I HAD to know.
He explained that the state slogan was "The Land of 10,000 Lakes." This was a fact, verifiable through various sources. In fact, a gross underestimation of how many lakes there actually are in Minnesota. "We don't like to toot our own horn too loudly."
 I grew up in Utah, where the state slogan was "The Greatest Snow on Earth." I did grow up with extremes of everything is the best, or the absolute worst. The first year my high school took state in basketball is still talked about. It is still awesome!
In getting to know native mid-westerners, the same pattern holds true. They are genuinely the nicest people I have ever met. I have had people go out of their way to remarkable lengths to help me out in situations where I thought I was doomed. Whether is was shoveling my driveway, giving me advice about a choice I was facing, even at the University level- getting me connected to the people I needed to be. "Minnesota Nice" is a real thing.
At the same time, there is a wall of privacy that is there. I was super confused by it at first. Social skills like this are acquired intellectually, and this one took me awhile to catch on to. I wear my emotions on my sleeve - to my detriment at times. In the mid-west there is a line of "this is good", and communication remains on that level. After the confusion left, and I saw that this was there, I have embraced it. Its different than what I am used to, but it is easy and, in my opinion -smart. There is less drama and more genuine "how can I help you?" I find I am not emotionally exhausted at the end of a social interaction. I think these guys are on to something here...
I did not understand how even communication styles differ depending on where we are from. Californian's are loud, Utahans are very emotional, New Yorkers can be very determined and straight-forward...and Minnesotans are nice...and I like it. Let me take that to an extreme- I like it ALOT!

No comments:

Post a Comment