Wednesday, December 18, 2013

My Grandmother used to bogart the milk...

I am amazed at the miracle of the human body. It is perfectly designed to heal itself.
 Last year at this time I was very ill. I remember on Christmas morning I had so much malaise, I just wanted to curl up and sleep. While being treated for migraines, my neurologist found an anti-body in my blood. This anti-body was good- it was healing me a a much more serious illness, unfortunately at the same time it made me very sick. The medications I was put on, were causing potentially disastrous side-effects.
I have gradually healed. It has been a long hard road, but I finally feel like the myself I was before the illness started. 

Elder Russell M. Nelson Link told me once that the beating heart was a gift from God. Only he could start it, and only he could stop it. 

The reality is, we have very little control. Over almost everything. But it seems to be something I continue to struggle for, and seems to be the biggest source of my unhappiness. Even though I know this, the thought of letting go scares the crap out of me. The distance between what I know and what I do, equals the measure of discontent with my world. 

On a completely unrelated note - I have a list of five foods I cannot live without. In case- you know - you know how much I like presents. Just sayin....

1. grapefruit. Salted. I eat it everyday. 
2. anything with buffalo sauce on it. Don't judge me. 
3. chocolate covered marshmallows in any form. 
4. bagels with cream cheese. 
5. cereal. with lots of milk. When I was a kid my grandmother would only give me like a tablespoon of milk in my cereal. Not even enough to get everything wet, THEN she would give me a cup of milk. I was not allowed to pour the cup of milk into my cereal. TORTURE. I remember sitting at her table and making a promise to myself and to God, that my children would never experience this kind of pain. 
We buy a lot of milk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment